Wednesday 30 September 2015

Oyumi-Ike

It was such a beautiful autumnal day that I couldn't help making a detour to walk around Omiyu-ike on my shopping trip:)



The surface of the pond was covered thickly with aquatic plants.


Spot-billed Ducks (Karugamoカルガモ) and 
 A Moorhen (Banバン) were making the most of it.

I'm not sure what sort of plant they are...  homework!

A cormorant was sitting quietly on the edge of the concrete wier.
I had a closer look at his lovely green eyes and webbed feet:)

Two Kingfishers (Kawasemiカワセミ) were chasing each other and this female perched just a few yards away from where I was standing.


While I was attracted to the Kingfishers, a Great Egret landed in the water and immediately started hunting.
with two Moorhens

No wintering ducks have arrived yet (again!) but there were many signs of autumn and one of them was this.
A Bull-headed Shrike (Mozuモズ) was singing on top of a telegraph pole.
Mozu is written in Kanji as 百舌鳥 and each symbol means 'hundred', 'tongue', and 'bird', respectively.
He was mimicking many other birds songs and calls as his Japanese name suggests:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment