Sunday 9 June 2013

Swifts (Amatsubameアマツバメ)

This morning when I was hanging the washing on the balcony, I thought I heard swifts screeching and I looked up into the glorious blue sky.

Yes!!!
A flock of Swifts - about 15 individuals - were flying high up and making such a noise.

Rushing to get my camera, I only managed to take a couple of photos before they flew south. I never thought I'd be able to come across the Swifts in this urban area. This unexpected encounter just cheered me up. Thanks guys!

I'm not sure what sort of Swifts can be seen in the area. They seemed to have a white rump but then I saw them only a couple of minutes through the 300mm lens so I can't be sure. Anyway, I'm glad to know some Swifts are around somewhere near us (although they fly incredibly far in order to reach a good feeding site). What a morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment